Wednesday, July 28, 2010

We're Back!

We touched US soil on Monday afternoon. As soon as we arrived, my family was waiting with a Swahili welcome sign and then took Mike and I to Mi Cocina. I have never tasted such satisfying food and sweet tea! Mike and I came home and crashed immediately! And now it seems that we are back to normalcy. Mike is back at work, the laundry is done, the refrigerator is stocked, and the yard is mowed. But it isn't the same. Mike and I both miss Africa like crazy.

Our trip was better than we expected. It was almost as if Mike and I fit in Morgoro. Mike spent most of his time working with some of the members of the church digging the foundation for a high school dorm. Alex Mwagalale (the pastor of Morogoro Baptist) has established a special high school about 20 miles outside of Morogoro for students that need to leave the village for their safety. There are 35 boys and girls that range from the ages of 15 to 21. They live at the high school and attend classes from 8 to 2. Mike and the Tanzanians worked to build a new dorm for some of the students. The labor wouldn't have been so intense if they had a backhoe- but they didn't. They had a tool similar to a large ice pick. They successfully removed stumps (I think the Americans removed 1/2 a stump and the Africans 7) and built the trenches to pour the foundation for the dorm. Building the dorm and working with the Africans really strengthened the friendship between the men. By the time we left, Mike had new African brothers. As a departing gift, Mike gave each one an African bracelet (a manly one) to remind them of the time they spent together. Mike received an email yesterday from his friend Minja, expressing his appreciation for their new friendship. Minja told Mike that it was very hard to say good bye, but every time he looks at his bracelet he thinks of the blessings from the Lord.


I spent most of my time at Paduka (the high school) teaching English and Geography. It was very interesting to see the look on the kids faces when I showed them pictures of the ocean, the moutains, and New York City. Although they live only one hour from the ocean, they have never seen it. Most of them have never been outside of Morogoro. Spending time with the kids was such a blessing. They have so much joy, with so little worldly possessions. Food is scarce and water has to be fetched twice a day from a hole 3/4 of a mile away (in the mountains). They wash their clothes in buckets on Saturday, and iron all of their clothes with metal and hot coals. They have maybe two shirts and one skirt- and maybe one pair of shoes. Their water is contaminated and they get typhoid and malaria often. They cook on coals, and wash their pots with sand (a scrubbing agent) and precious water. They work every afternoon and Saturday to "trim the environment" or clear fields. They hope to someday plant some crops and have a place to play soccer. They know that their conditions are poor, but they know that their reward is in Heaven. They love the Lord with a passion that I have never experienced. I wish you could witness their worship for just one minute- because it would change your life. They cry out to the Lord in thanksgiving! As an American, I don't know if I could cry out to the Lord in thanks, given those circumstances. But as we see it as a lack of clean water, and lacking a kitchen, and lacking this or that- they see it as a blessing to even have water, or even have a place to live! Their perspective is far above mine.

Mike and I went to Africa hoping to teach them something. But we found that they taught us more than we will ever understand. We learned about hard work, perseverance, patience, thanksgiving, worship, praise, fellowship- and most of all, JOY. The relationships that we built over there are everlasting. Of course, we would love to return to Morogoro next year, but on the Lord knows what is in store. Everything can change in a years time. But we do take comfort that even if we don't see any of our friends again on earth, we will spend eternity with them. And I guarantee you that the people of Morogor will be blessed in eternity. Kay Shelton shared this verse with me on the trip, and I think it is a perfect illustration of the people of Morogoro.

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether live in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me stength. Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. "
Phillipians 4:11-14

I have never gone more than 24 hours without eating, and I have never woken up wondering if there will be food available to me. But this is a concern for the people of Morogoro daily. There concerns are truly life threatening. They worry about food and water, we worry about saving extra money or buying a new gadget. Maybe we can't pay our satellite bill or can't buy extra clothes, but the Lord has always blessed us with food, clean water, shelter and clothes.

Yesterday, I found myself viewing people in a new light. I want to see people the way that the Lord sees them. All too often I look at people's things, and not their heart. Imagine what our life would be like if we looked at everyone's heart? I don't know...

I really wish I could summarize for you the kind of love that exists in Morogoro. Pictures can't explain it. Mike and I were very blessed to have spent the time that we did with the people. But I beleive that we were so blessed because the Lord called us, and we responded. The Lord does not call everyone to Africa. He calls people to China, Mexico, Dallas, Colorado, your neighborhood...the list goes on. But I have learned that when the Lord calls you, and you respond, he will bless you. Don't ge me wrong, parts of the trip were difficult. I felt fear like I had never felt before. I seriously thought I was going to die twice (I'm very imaginative...I doubt I was ever in TRUE danger). But I am so so so thankful that I went. My relationship with the people of Morogoro, our mission team, my husband and the Lord has all been strengthened. Thank you all for your loev and support. We felt your prayers while we were gone and could not have completed this trip without you.

We love you all and pray that God will bless you! Mungu awabarik!

No comments:

Post a Comment